Skip to main content

Shishito Peppers

By February 7, 2023March 20th, 2023Eats
shishito peppers

Shishito Peppers

I’m always on the lookout for healthy snacks. If they are both quick and easy to make, they get bonus points. Shishito peppers are just that: they’re heathy, quick, easy, and always delicious. What makes them even more interesting is that for every ten you eat, one of them is likely to be spicy! It’s like a game for your mouth!
Basically, when it come to shishito peppers, 90% of them are mild, but the other 10% pack a spicy kick. You never know what you are going to get. Not only is this a party fun-fact, it makes serving them up at a party all the more fun. It’s kind of like a game of snack-time roulette.  You never know who’s going to get the spicy pepper!
shishito peppers

Oh, So Easy

I first had Shishito peppers when a friend brought them over for a little get-together.  I was a bit skeptical about how good they’d be as I watched him blister up the peppers on my stove, then season them with nothing more than some flaky sea salt.  I mean, it couldn’t be that easy. The whole process took under ten minutes.
Once I had my first bite,  I was hooked.    I had another… then another. I was about four peppers in before I bit into a spicy one… but even though I am not a big spicy eater, it was so good that I braved many more shishito peppers after that.  They’re just that good… and fun. The flavor was only rivaled by the giggles and conversations we had about this awesome new food discovery.
While not complicated, I’ve honed my recipe for this super simple blistered shishito peppers with just the right balance of oil and salt.  Let me know if you try it and how you like them… especially if you got a spicy one!  If you are looking for more quick and easy recipes, check out my  yummy recipe for lemon sorbet. It is the perfect cold partner to these spicy peppers.
Shishito Peppers


Shishito Peppers

Shishito Peppers

Michelle Tucker
An easy, delicious and healthy snack or appetizer.
5 from 1 vote
Cook Time 10 minutes
Course Appetizer
Servings 4


  • 1 Pint Shishito Peppers
  • 2 tbls Olive Oil
  • 1-2 tsp Flaky salt


  • Wash and pat dry the Shishito peppers.
  • Place the peppers in a large bowl, add the olive oil, and toss to evenly coat all the peppers.
  • Pre-heat your skillet over medium heat for about a minute. When your skillet is nice and hot add your peppers.
  • Spread the peppers out in a single layer and let one side cook until blistered. This will take a minute or two.
  • Once that side is blistered, turn over the peppers with tongs and let other side do the same.
  • Stir peppers every minute or so until the peppers are evenly blistered. This should take about 5-10 minutes total.
  • Transfer blistered peppers to a serving dish. Sprinkle with the salt and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Shishito peppers
shishito peppers

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.